'A ball gown is your dream, and it must make you a dream... I think it is just as necessary in a woman's wardrobe as a suit. And it is wonderful for morale...' Christian Dior




Monday 30 May 2011

Wedding dancer


I left buying a dress for my brother's wedding to the very last minute. All thoughts of the perfect vintage ensemble are forced to the back of your mind when you're running around Oxford Street after work every night in the week before the big day. It wasn't like I hadn't been looking, I just didn't come across 'the' dress like I imagined I would. Before I knew it, I was panic-buying the same dress in two different sizes in Oasis and ringing around five branches of Topshop to track down a size seven pair of cream t-bars. Not my finest hour. The whole experience reminded me how predictable and exasperating our high street can be. Having traipsed between Hobbs and Whistles (too expensive), Warehouse (too informal) and Monsoon (too mumsy), I could now probably describe every design in stock this season. And it wouldn't take very long because they're all the bloody same. 

Anyway, rant over because the panic-buy pulled off and Oasis was a revelation. Love all the candy colours and unusual cuts in at the moment. And well, if a real vintage gown didn't find me in time, then this 1970's mint green mini-dress was a welcome substitute.


And perfect for dancing. Although I don't particularly need or want the photographic/video evidence. The flared sleeves certainly revealed some interesting moves.


Because the dress had quite a lot going on, all that was needed to accessorise it was some simple gold earrings and some killer heels. I went for these patent peach Mary Janes from Topshop (pictured on their second outing, last night at Bethnal Green Working Men's Club from which they're now scuffed at the front. That'll teach me for trying to climb a pole).

No comments:

Post a Comment