'A ball gown is your dream, and it must make you a dream... I think it is just as necessary in a woman's wardrobe as a suit. And it is wonderful for morale...' Christian Dior




Tuesday 20 July 2010

Fashion rocks

If ever you needed more proof than Alexa in her Barbour trench, Sienna in her boho skirts and Kate in her teeny tiny hot pants that festivals are a fashion fest, then look no further than last weekend's Latitude .  Because if, like me, you're bored with boho and think Barbour should be left to the boys, you would have been very pleasantly surprised when Central St Martins and Chelsea College of Art showcased their graduate fashion shows on a floating catwalk on the lake.

Despite head scarves, bold jewellery and jump suits making festival dressing more fun and inventive than ever, it's hard to feel that, how should I put it, well turned out when you know you haven't showered for days and your nails look like the kind of tools you would take to an abstract art class. Watching a runway of porcelain-faced picture-perfect models ought to make you feel pretty crap. But the collections from the colleges that have given us everyone from Alexander McQueen to Christopher Kane were, like the offerings from the fashion forces that came before them, utterly inspiring.

My favourite was Shawana Grosvenor whose 'White Set' is described as 'an exploration into the relationship between two pure forms; shape and colour. Focusing on white and circles; inspired by space and "white" by Kenya Har.'





Here's more from a designer I didn't catch the name of, but that I loved. And yes I call myself a journalist... But maybe I've found my calling in fashion photography?


Secretary meets volume. There was a definite structured lady-like thing going on which was echoed throughout many of the collections...


And seemed, at the risk of sounding unimpressed, almost too wearable. I was expecting more radical. This is more like it...



And stilts, what about models on stilts? Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment