'A ball gown is your dream, and it must make you a dream... I think it is just as necessary in a woman's wardrobe as a suit. And it is wonderful for morale...' Christian Dior




Thursday 4 February 2010

The reinvention of polyester

Wash and go... go, go, go! 

It's official. Polyester is having a moment. I never thought I'd see the day, but that was until I got my hands on the March issue of In Style who felt it worthy of a news announcement. And I, for one couldn't be happier.

The fashion pack always complain how rummaging through rails of polyester dresses isn't their idea of 'vintage' but if you blacklist this forgotten fabric and its various forms, you're denying a whole wave of designers in the 1960s (Mary Quant, Jean Muir) recognition, not to mention the icons (Jean Shrimpton, Patty Boyd) who wore it so well.

Cut to SS10 and collections by Lanvin, Bottega Veneta and Jil Sander have left die-hard fashionistas gasping in disbelief. A fabric that can be chucked in the washing machine with any other colours and doesn't require ironing? Oh, the glamour. So you can't picture it on the red carpet? Then start...

No comments:

Post a Comment