'A ball gown is your dream, and it must make you a dream... I think it is just as necessary in a woman's wardrobe as a suit. And it is wonderful for morale...' Christian Dior




Sunday 28 March 2010

Party like it's 1950


I've had this 1950s silk gown (complete with original bones) in my wardrobe for about three years, after borrowing (well, stealing) it from my sister, who bought it from Bang Bang. It's rescued me on a number of occasions when I've needed a formal dress so it was great to wear it to a 1950s-themed party last night. It's a brilliant green, a colour that actually looks better on pale skin, and how often can you say that?! Because it's quite bold and structured (ie, hard to breathe in), accessorising needs to be kept to a minimum. I eschewed pearls or earrings and opted for a flower in my hair instead.


I didn't have many options with my hair, being cropped and about ten years too late for the era, but my friend Ellen curled hers and wore a sparkly hair grip a la Dita Von Teece, who does fifties hair very well.


Despite our efforts, I think the award for best-dressed has to go to Jesse, above. Ok, so he's clutching a plastic cup in this picture, but he was smoking a pipe, did have a hip flask and you can't really argue with that moustache (which he had started growing especially a month before).

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I like your blog.All the picks are so pretty but i like the green dress ( first pick)so much...

    Promotional Codes

    ReplyDelete