'A ball gown is your dream, and it must make you a dream... I think it is just as necessary in a woman's wardrobe as a suit. And it is wonderful for morale...' Christian Dior




Tuesday 3 November 2009

It's Dynasty darling


I normally shy away from buying into trends, but the resurgence of the eighties this A/W09 has grabbed me by the neck, held me down and draped me from head to toe. I'm all about embellished sweaters, bubble skirts, earrings to make Pat Butcher jealous and eye shadow I should have thrown out years ago. Not to mention the full length royal blue jump suit I acquired from a friend after she decided she'd probably never wear it (that's mate-speak for wouldn't be seen dead in it).


The news today that shoulder pads actually sold out at John Lewis because the inanely fashion conscious were raiding the haberdashery department to sew the pads into their existing clothes just goes to show that eighties power dressing ain't going anywhere. Providing JL stock up. Well I'm not going to afford Balenciaga any time soon...

I first realised the force of the-decade-that-fashion-forgot a few weeks back when I went to interview Joan Collins for work. It's not often I find myself in a style crisis when on TV assignments but suddenly I was pulling out stilettos and my new favourite, let's call it 'bling blouse' (pictured). But I didn't wear it. How could I compete with those shoulders?


Joan, as you'd imagine, looked like she'd just stepped off the Dynasty set. And she's 76! She was wearing a black and white leopard print silk blouse with homage-to-eighties shoulders with every other aspect of her outfit from over-sized choker to Panama hat, blending effortlessly into a monochrome theme. But the best part? I spotted her at London Fashion Week a few days later wearing the same blouse. That's my girl...




No comments:

Post a Comment