'A ball gown is your dream, and it must make you a dream... I think it is just as necessary in a woman's wardrobe as a suit. And it is wonderful for morale...' Christian Dior




Monday 4 January 2010

New year, no clothes...

Yes, I know it's not the done thing, but I'm still new to this whole blogging malarkey, so surely that excuses the TWO whole WEEKS I've had away from my computer. Not that (if I'm being honest) it's done me much good... 


Aside from the extra weight I'm carrying (thanks to the indoor 'picnics' on the days there wasn't anything to celebrate but it was too cold to go outside) my booze-oozing skin and the hangover from NYE, AKA The Fear, I'm convinced will be sticking around until next year, I've got writers' block, the start of a cold and no money to buy the dresses that would perk me up. 


But, getting a grip and before this turns into a dissertation-length rant (my new year's resolution is to write snappier, more frequent posts like normal people) if there's one rescue remedy (no, not the stuff in a bottle, though that does help with The Fear) it's that dress already in your wardrobe. You know the one. The if-in-doubt dress! The only one you've had for over three years that never seems to look old and worn or go out of fashion. The outfit you wear when you're feeling unsure of yourself, or in a situation you'd rather not be in.





This red sixties mini has helped me through first dates, perked me up when I've been poorly, held my hand when I went ice skating with Gareth Gates for a TV assignment for work (less said about that, the better) and most recently, got me through a rather tricky one-on-one with David Dimbleby about the History of Art (not my forte, luckily the dress distracted him for at least ten seconds). Needless to say, when my rail of dresses collapsed twice this morning before my first day back in the office, it was the first thing I grabbed from the pile... 

No comments:

Post a Comment